At my current company, we built an internal issue tracking application for our service team to better support our customers. The Service Desk, as we call it, is a typical Spring Boot web application with many REST endpoints that serialize objects to JSON using the popular Jackson library. One such endpoint provides a list of issue objects, which is the root level object in Service Desk.
Several months ago, we noticed that our issue search screen was slow. After some digging, we realized that the issue object had grown from a handful of properties to over 50 properties. We were pulling down an enormous payload just to display a few properties on the screen!